According to a recent McKinsey Global Institute Report, 375 million jobs will vanish by 2030, replaced by automation and AI. However, some industries — like the drone industry — will continue to grow exponentially.
5 Future-Proof Industries
CNBC identified these industries at the beginning of 2019 as expected to grow alongside automation and AI — and continue to rise as populations age and new laws come into effect.
- Analytics and Big Data — PricewaterhouseCoopers predicts that there will be 2.2 million data and analytics-related jobs posted in the U.S. in 2020.
- Cybersecurity — Cybersecurity Ventures estimates there will be 3.5 million unfilled cybersecurity jobs by 2021.
- Health Care for the Aging — The UN estimates there will be 2.1 billion people over the age of 60 globally by 2050.
- Renewable Energy — The International Renewable Energy Agency reported that global jobs in the renew- able energy sector increased to more than 10 million for the first time in 2018, and expects there to be 28 million jobs in the industry by 2050.
- Drones—The drone industry is expected to hit $12.1 billion by 2021, creating an increased need for compliance and risk-management experts, fleet managers, operational experts, and mechanics.
Bonus: Cannabis — More than 30 countries have legalized medicinal marijuana, and some, including Canada, Mexico, and Uruguay, have legalized its recreational use. People with backgrounds in retail, finance, operations, agriculture, medicine, biochemistry, and law should take notice of opportunities in this burgeoning sector.
This post is part of Convene’s 2019 Events Industry Forecast looking at the future of technology, travel, lodging, and exhibitions.