Peer-to-peer group sessions available complimentary to region
Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA) has launched an APAC specific peer-to-peer meeting series to facilitate open conversation between up to 30 industry professionals per session, from corporates through to associations, to discuss their challenges and recovery strategies.
Based on the hugely successful PCMA Community Conversations program in the USA, the APAC version titled Community Connect is helping event professionals undertake end-to-end reviews of their events from strategy through to post-implementation. Initially just for members, the APAC PCMA team has opened the sessions up to non-members, it is a tangible way the organisation can support regrowth in the region.
Whilst there is a lot of informational content available, Community Connect session attendees are valuing the peer-to-peer exchange to learn about what their colleagues are doing day-to-day to manage their constantly changing approach to events.
After the first Community Connect session, Millie Hung, Senior Manager – Head of Events, ASIFMA said: “It’s very worthwhile to exchange ideas with other industry players at such challenging times.”
Fellow attendee Anita Chau, Director of Marketing, KPMG China said: “Having a peer-to–peer discussion is valuable to individuals in the industry and gives us an opportunity to learn from each other in a non-competitive environment.”
PCMA engaged Kirsty Simmonds as an independent consultant to attend the sessions and provide feedback on the quality and format of the events. Simmonds said the Community Connect sessions were highly valued by the participants as they were ticking a few boxes for them right now.
“PCMA’s goal is to create collegiate forums away from participants’ workplace, to problem solve, inform, educate and support each other, with the goal of accelerating their own practices, and, as professionals, to be at the leading edge for their businesses and clients.
“Friendly, energetic and confidential forums, participants are achieving a lot from their 90-minute power sessions!” said Ms Simmonds.
The first two Community Connect sessions, held in July 2020, focused on virtual events, and medical events and meetings, respectively. The key topics discussed included: the financial models available for virtual events, the best technology platforms to use, how to showcase a host location online, and risk management strategies for hybrid events.
Karen Bolinger, PCMA Managing Director for APAC, said these sharing forums which forge community, encourage peer support and facilitate the development of solutions to the big issues – all of which the industry needs right now.
“With the staggering rate of change going on in the industry, it is vital we talk to each other. These new community-driven sessions allow us to have open and honest conversations in which attendees share practical tips, insights, and new ideas on how to approach all the new aspects of events.
“So far these events have proved to be popular with the APAC community and we invite everyone from the industry to attend, to listen, share and learn,” said Ms Bolinger.
Attendance at Community Connect events is complimentary for non-members until 31 December 2020.
Notes to Editors:
Interviews with Karen Bolinger are available, to request please contact:
Jessica Kauffman, Senior Account Manager, ZADRO | +61 400 433 182 | email@example.com
About Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA)
- PCMA’s APAC operations are led by Karen Bolinger with a team in Melbourne and Singapore.
- PCMA APAC has a strong presence in our region and represents the event buyer across Australia, New Zealand, South-East Asia and North Asia.
- PCMA is the world’s largest platform for business events strategists and their business partners, PCMA’s success is driven by a commitment to providing provocative executive level education, face-to-face networking and business intelligence to its global audience of 7,000 member professionals and students.
- PCMA believes business events can economically and socially transform communities, enterprises and individuals.
- Through its Ascent leadership initiative to promote inclusion and diversity across the business events industry and beyond, PCMA seeks to empower those challenged by gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity or disabilities to find success.
- Visit us at pcma.org or LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Visit PCMA APAC on LinkedIn.