We’re delusional about how we learn, Velvet Chainsaw’s Dave Lutz, CMP, points out in a column about succeeding as a life-long learner. But you can take ownership of your learning at industry events like PCMA Convening Leaders 2017 by following these five tips.
- Select sessions with content that appears to be more abstract or strategic over tips and tricks.
- Show up curious and ready to give your brain a workout. Instead of taking a seat in the back, sit next to someone you don’t know near the front.
- Don’t multitask: Your brain is only capable of doing one thing at a time.
- Try to connect the content and concepts to your past experiences. You know that you’ve learned something when you’re able to translate it into your own words.
- If the session isn’t resonating with you in the first 15 minutes, leave and find a better one.