The COCAL Congress, the annual event for the meetings industry in Latin America, this year welcomed approximately 500 event professionals from 17 countries in Latin America, North America, and Europe.
The 36th annual COCAL Congress was held at Panama City’s Megalopolis Convention Center Panama, March 12-15, and attracted an audience of 500, including professional meeting planners, meetings industry service providers, airline representatives, union leaders, members of convention bureaus, and representatives from higher education institutions and other related entities attend the event.
This year, the Asociación Panameña de Profesionales en Congresos, Exposiciones y Afines (APPCE) served as co-host.
PCMA President and CEO Sherrif Karamat spoke Wednesday, challenging meetings professionals in attendance to spark social change in the communities where their events take place.
“What you do every day changes the world [and] transforms communities,” he said, according to a tweet from the COCAL Twitter account.
After Karamat spoke, he joined a panel onstage to discuss the business events industry in Latin America. Panelists included:
- PabloWeil, President of COCAL
- David Dubois, President and CEO of the International Association of Exhibitions and Events (IAEE)
- Heidi Welker, VP Freeman Group Canada and Chairwoman for Meetings Mean Business Alliance Canada
- Susan Robertson, Executive Vice Presidet, ASAE, and CEO of the ASAE Foundation
- Gregg Talley, President and CEO of the Talley Management Group Inc.