There are some airport extras you can imagine finding anywhere, like free Wi-Fi, comfortable seating, and lots of charging stations. Others, like the half dozen below, not only offer travelers a little comfort, relaxation, or entertainment, but tell you something about the destinations where they are located. For more on airports you’d actually want to spend time in, read our September feature story on destination airports.
1. Munich Airport is home to a beer garden and brewery that seats 400 and offers freshly brewed beer, Bavarian food specialties, and brewery tours.
2. You can extend the Southern California lifestyle right up until the boarding call sitting under a palm tree beside a fire pit at the Long Beach Airport.
3. There are wolf eels, sea stars, sea urchins, and more than 20 different species of fish in the aquarium at underscoring the coastal city’s eco-friendly ways
4. Jackson Hole Airport, in Wyoming’s Grand Teton National Park, is the only commercial airport in a national park. Its exposed wood and fireplaces make it look and feel like a mountain lodge.
5. A serene and secluded yoga room at San Francisco International Airport is in sync with the city’s early embrace of yoga.
6. Live music is performed by local entertainers at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport and at Nashville International Airport. In Austin, the airport was named to a list of top five venues for to hear live music.