Each of the four rooms of the Jack Rose restaurant, in The Pontchartrain Hotel in New Orleans, has a distinct style. (Neil Alexander)
USA Today’s 10Best site, which claims to offer its readers “trusted travel and lifestyle advice,” asked those same readers to vote for their favorite hotels and hotel amenities, and New Orleans hotels reign in two categories: best hotel bar and best restaurant.
The Pontchartrain Hotel’s Jack Rose came out on top in the best hotel restaurant category, while The Sazerac Bar at The Roosevelt New Orleans earned the honor in the best hotel bar contest.
Jack Rose serves Italian, French, and Spanish dishes with a Louisiana twist, the site says. For planners, Jack Rose has a private dining room, the Mile High Pie Club, and the full restaurant can be booked for a private event of up to 125 guests, according to its website. For larger events up to 200 guests, the restaurant has an attached event space, The Parlor at the Pontchartrain.
Just a little under two miles from Jack Rose, you’ll find The Sazerac Bar, located within The Roosevelt New Orleans and the top bar on the list. Folks at The Sazerac Bar claim the landmark is named after “what many consider to be the world’s first mixed drink.” Guests still can order the Sazerac, which the menu claims is the official cocktail of New Orleans.
Jack Rose’s Mile High Pie might lives up to its name.(Randy Schmidt)
The rest of the Top 10 hotel restaurants are:
- Circa 1886 at Wentworth Mansion in Charleston
- Azure at The Royal Hawaiian in Honolulu
- The Thistle Inn Restaurant at The Thistle Inn in Boothbay Harbor, Maine
- Herons at The Umstead Hotel and Spa in Cary, N.C.
- Panzano at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Denver
- Restaurant Alma at Hotel Alma in Minneapolis
- Natalie’s Restaurant at Camden Harbour Inn in Camden, Maine
- Le Cirque at Bellagio in Las Vegas
- Benno at The Evelyn Hotel in New York
The rest of the Top 10 hotel bars are:
- The Aviary NYC at Mandarin Oriental New York
- The Remedy Bar at Four Seasons Vail in Colorado
- Sable Kitchen & Bar at Hotel Palomar in Chicago
- Del Rey at Villa Royale in Palm Springs, Calif.
- The Driskill Bar at The Driskill in Austin
- Quill at The Jefferson in Washington, D.C.
- Everdene at Virgin Hotels San Francisco
- Citizen Rail at Kimpton Hotel Born in Denver
- The Bar at Baccarat Hotel in New York
For all the 10Best contests, a panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to pick 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by reader vote.
More City Lists
More Photos from Jack Rose
The Royal Red Shrimp Muddy Waters includes squid ink campanelle. (Randy Schmidt)
The lounge at Jack Rose doesn't lack in paintings of flowers.(Christian Horan)
The quail and waffles dish, with cane syrup, figs, and jalapenos, spices up Jack Rose's Sunday brunch menu. (Britt Smith Photography)