Australia is likely on many bucket lists for both tourists and meeting attendees. Melbourne, a hub of sports, style and culture, has long been considered the Australian city with European charm. Whether you are on a site visit, hosting a meeting, or just passing through, make the time to explore this well balanced city. Public transport is very accessible, convenient, and well planned. The emergence of a food and wine scene, highlighted in such television classics as “Chef’s Table,” will not disappoint! Melbourne is a safe and pleasurable city worthy of discovery and imbibing!
- Start your day by experiencing the famed coffee culture of Melbourne. Enjoy a delicious “flat white” or “tall blonde” in a trendy outdoor coffee café of which there are endless options.
- Stroll along the Yarra waterfront promenade, walk across the pedestrian bridge and stop to eat at one of many restaurants and cafes. The vibrant food scene in Melbourne is constantly evolving.
- Don’t miss this: Take a hot air balloon ride over the city – it’s worth the early 4:00 a.m. wake-up call to watch the city come alive with the sunrise!
- Aussie football: Take in the action at Melbourne Cricket Ground http://www.mcg.org.au/ (another option for off-site events). Kick a little footy and buy a souvenir jersey from your favorite team such as the Swans, the Cats or the Crows!
- Make time to visit the wineries in the Yarra Valley, just a half-day tour away from the city. http://www.yarravalleywinetastingtours.com.au/. Not only will you be transported to the scenic countryside, you will be sure to see a mob or two of wild kangaroo along the way!
- For another meeting planner highlight, ask for a demonstration of the automated high-tech transition from auditorium to ballroom in the Melbourne Convention Center! You will assuredly be impressed!
Bonus: Take the City Circle tram along the Harbourside Esplanade and throughout the city. The Tram is free, seven days a week!
This year, Melbourne was selected for PCMA’s Citywide Action. Learn more about the action package here and let the bidding begin!