The meeting room set-up for the June 2 Quarterly Educational Meeting at Swissotel Chicago was different from usual room sets. The pods of seven chairs hinted at the group exercise that was conducted by Mari Pat Varga as part of her presentation, “Communication Think Tank.” Observing that “meetings are highly complex and require rock star communications,” she turned us loose to test our communication skills.
Here are the takeaways that followed discussion about the exercise and what each group learned:
- Organizational clarity is a major accomplishment.
- If the goal is not clear, it’s hard to succeed.
- If you don’t know or understand, ask.
- Every question deserves an answer.
- Encouragement along the way always helps.
“Commitment means staying loyal to what you said you would do long after the mood you said it in has left you,” Mari Pat said in her final comments.