College students interested in the meetings and events industry had their own day of networking, education and fun on Friday, Nov. 7 at the Northern Illinois University (NIU) Naperville Campus.
Over 40 students representing seven different colleges and universities from four states attended the GMC PCMA Student Day 2014. More than 25 industry professionals gave their time to present topics, provide guidance and network with students who are actively pursuing future careers in the meetings and events industry.
The agenda consisted of:
- A briefing on the value of PCMA involvement and the announcement of two new financial scholarships
- An interactive game of Jeopardy covering various areas of our industry
- Breakouts with hoteliers, CVB representatives and both corporate and association meeting planners
- A session on how to prepare for the job market led by HR professionals
- The unveiling of our new GMC LinkedIn student site and helpful tips on networking
- Stories told by a group of young industry professionals on their career paths and choices
- A full hour and a half set aside for networking with industry professionals
The GMC Student Membership committee thanks everyone who helped make this student program a success! About the Author
Bill Martin is a Strategic Sales Executive at Experient. He chairs GMC’s Student Membership Committee.