By Jennifer N. Dienst, Contributing Editor
Innovation at its finest
The Cleveland Medical Mart & Convention Center (MMCC), set to open this July, will be the first facility of its kind to meet the special needs of both the medical and meetings marketplaces. With 235,000 square feet of permanent medical showrooms, a 225,928-square-foot, Class A exhibition hall, and state-of-the-art conference facilities, the $465-million facility will simultaneously draw from and support Cleveland's already-thriving medical community.
Surrounded by nationally recognized health-care systems such as the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, Sisters of Charity Health System, and MetroHealth Medical
Center, the Cleveland MMCC's 1.1-million-square-foot campus is at the crux of one of the country's foremost health-care centers. Its 235,000-square-foot medical mart will provide a platform for medical innovation and technology, with the world's leading health-care manufacturers displaying and demonstrating everything from health-care information technology to medical devices in permanent showrooms. The medical mart will also feature four themed floors - Health and Home; People, Patients, and Caregivers; Clinical Spaces; and Healthcare IT - providing flexible spaces for organizations and companies to collaborate, perform research, educate, and train.
Seamlessly connected to the medical mart, the 750,000-square-foot convention center will offer state-of-the-art spaces for all kinds of meetings and conventions. The LEED Silver-certified convention center will include a 225,928-square-foot exhibit hall divisible into three halls, as well as 46,166 square feet of total ballroom space, made up of three grand ballrooms totaling 32,193 square feet and two junior ballrooms totaling 10,937 square feet. Views of Lake Erie and a 9,520-square-foot patio will complement galas and special events held in all of the ballroom spaces.
For trade shows and exhibitions, the convention center's 225,928 square feet of high-quality exhibit space will feature high ceilings and industry-standard column spacing. Suited to the needs of medical trade shows and conventions, the facility will be able to host simultaneous events and will be ideal for events that require conferencing capabilities. More than 90,000 square feet of state-of-the-art, flexible meeting space - including 35 meeting rooms - will feature wireless connectivity, multisite videoconferencing, and high-definition display systems. The convention center will come fully equipped with the latest amenities that meeting planners want and need, including outdoor event spaces on the building's12-acre roof; experienced management, exhibit, and catering teams; and support from Positively Cleveland's award-winning convention services department.
Nearby, attendees will find an array of dining and diversions along the Lake Erie waterfront. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, Cleveland Browns Stadium, and Great Lakes Science Center are across the street from the Cleveland MMCC, and some of the best nightlife and restaurants are just a short walk away on East 4th Street. A little farther south in downtown, attendees can take in a Cleveland Cavaliers game at the Quicken Loans Arena, try their luck at the new Horseshoe Casino Cleveland, or explore the Historic Gateway District. There's also a brand-new inventory of hotel accommodations. Downtown Cleveland currently offers more than 4,000 hotel rooms, and an additional 912 rooms are due to come on board in the next couple of years.
For more information: Positively Cleveland - Mike Burns, Senior Vice President of Convention Sales & Services; (216) 875-6615; email@example.com; positivelycleveland.com
Cleveland Medical Mart & Convention Center Highlights
• The $465-million Cleveland Medical Mart & Convention Center (mmcc) will debut in 2013 as the only facility of its kind to meet the needs of both the medical and meetings marketplaces. The 1.1-million-square-foot campus will consist of a 235,000-square-foot medical mart and a 750,000-square-foot convention center featuring 225,928 square feet of exhibit space.
• The Cleveland MMCC will be the centerpiece of Cleveland's health-care community. The medical metropolis is already home to nationally recognized health-care systems such as Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, Sisters of Charity Health System, and MetroHealth Medical Center.
• With competitive pricing and lower costs than most major U.S. cities, Cleveland is home to a wide variety of well-recognized hotel brands, with more than 4,000 hotel rooms in downtown and 3,100 hotel rooms near Cleveland Hopkins International Airport.
• Cleveland is within 500 miles of 43 percent of the U.S. population and accessible by two airports, Akron-Canton Airport (CAK) and Cleveland Hopkins International (CLE). The latter offers more than 250 daily departures to more than 75 nonstop destinations.
Convention Center Specs
Total exhibit space
• 225,928 square feet, divisible into three halls
Total meeting-room space
• 93,171 square feet
Total ballroom space
• 46,166 square feet
Total prefunction space
• 65,050 square feet
Number of ballrooms
Number of meeting rooms
Medical Mart Showroom
• 235,000 square feet