The Convention Industry Council (CIC) today revealed the names of the 2014 inductees into the CIC Hall of Leaders and the third class of Pacesetter Award recipients. The awardees will be formally recognized at the Hall of Leaders Gala on Sunday, October 12, 2014 at the MGM Grand Resort & Casino in Las Vegas, kicking off IMEX America week.
“The CIC Hall of Leaders is the highest honor to be bestowed in our industry. This year’s class truly embodies the qualities that are the hallmark of this award. They are the influencers and forward-thinkers who have shaped this industry and inspired many of us to be better leaders,” said the CEO of the Convention Industry Council, Karen Kotowski, CAE, CMP. “We are pleased to be back in Las Vegas for IMEX America week where the industry’s best and brightest will meet face to face.”
The Hall of Leaders recognition program draws attention to the contributions that the meetings industry has made to the larger society as a whole by highlighting the specific achievements of industry pioneers and emerging leaders who not only changed the landscape of the profession, but changed the culture of business as well. Nominations are submitted either by CIC member organizations or the general industry community and honorees are recognized during the culminating awards ceremony and their stories housed virtually.
This year’s honorees are:
- John Christison – Principal and Managing Member, BCI+Network, nominated by International Association of Venue Managers
- Gary Sain (deceased) – Former President/CEO, Visit Orlando, nominated by International Association of Exhibitions and Events
- Patti Shock – Professor, Academic Consultant, UNLV/International School of Hospitality, Nominated by National Association for Catering and Events
Additionally, the following people were selected to receive Pacesetter awards:
- Donnell Bayot, Young Professionals Award, in recognition for his innovation, nominated by National Association for Catering and Events
- Lindsay Arell, Young Professionals Award, with recognition for her work with sustainability and social responsibility, Nominated by Green Meetings Industry Council
To date, 111 pioneers have been inducted into the Hall of Leaders. A complete listing of previous HOL award winners, along with pictures and details from the 2013 fete, can be found online.
The Pacesetter Award, established in 2012 to honor achievement ‘in real time,’ rather than over a lifetime, has recognized seven emerging leaders whose recent accomplishments are defining how we will work in tomorrow’s industry.