Why should I register for PCMA’s CMP Online Prep Course?
- Our CMP Online Prep Course is the only online course officially endorsed by the Convention Industry Council. It is the most comprehensive and effective online study tool, built by the industry’s leading innovator and educator for meeting professionals.
- You will have 24/7 access to materials, giving you the flexibility to study at your own pace.
Do I already need to have work or educational experience to take your online course, pass the exam and apply for membership?
- No – anyone is welcome to take our course. Some people use it to earn CE credit towards their CMP application, some use it to study for the CMP exam, and others use it to learn more about the meetings industry. We also accept members of all levels – even if you have no work experience in the industry.
Purchasing the CMP Online Prep Course
How long do I have access to the course?
- You have one year from the date of purchase to access the course. You can take the course as many or as few times as you like during that year.
How much does the course cost?
- PCMA Members: $299
- Non-members: $399
- Three or more people from the same organization: $249 each
- You can also use Starwood points to pay for the course.
- After a year, you can extend your access for six months for only $50.
How do I obtain the group rate of $249/Participant for 3 or more from the same organization?
- In order to receive the group rate, you must purchase a license. One license is required for each person who is taking the course and you must purchase the licenses all at the same time. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.423.7262.
Structure of the CMP Online Prep Course
How is the CMP Online Prep Course organized?
- The course begins with a self-evaluation to assess your current strengths and weaknesses. There are 100 questions in the self-evaluation, which measures what you already know against each module of the online prep course. The instant feedback refers you the readings to highlight areas to study.
- There are 23 modules in the course. Each course includes:
- Overview & Learning Objectives
- Pre-Test (25-40 questions)
- Reading Assignments
- Informational Slide Presentation
- Post-Test (30-50 questions) – Each test provides instant feedback with correct answers and reading references
- There are multi-module cumulative tests after the 11th and 23rd modules.
- There are three full-length CMP practice exams at the end of the course, each with 150 questions.
- Tests are comprised of multiple choice, fill in the blank, and true/false questions.
How are the 23 modules structured, and how much information is covered in each module?
- Reading assignments vary depending on the module topic but usually average around 3 chapters, generally from different texts. The modules are:
- Module 1 Goals and Objectives
- Module 2 Sustainable Meetings
- Module 3 Evaluation and ROI
- Module 4 Contracts, Liability and Risk Management
- Module 5 Accessibility
- Module 6 Budgeting
- Module 7 Project Teams
- Module 8 Program Design
- Module 9 Food & Beverage
- Module 10 Learning Environments
- Module 11 Audio Visual and Production Support
- Module 12 Ancillary Events
- Module 13 Transportation
- Module 14 Housing and Registration
- Module 15 Technology Applications
- Module 16 Virtual Technologies
- Module 17 Exhibitions
- Module 18 International Meetings
- Module 19 Site Selection
- Module 20 Event Specifications and On-site Operations
- Module 21 Shipping
- Module 22 Marketing and Promotion
- Module 23 Ethics, Etiquette, Protocol, and Culture
How long does one module typically take to complete?
- The time it takes to complete a module greatly depends on what type of reader you are, your familiarity with the module content, and how long you want to spend working on and studying the material. The course was designed for the learner to devote one week to each module. This is assuming that the learner would not finish the reading and module content in one sitting. However it is possible to complete a module in 3- 6 hours. We recommend starting the course a minimum of 6 weeks before the exam to allow enough time to complete the work.
Are the tests pass/fail or scored?
- The tests are scored, and you have the opportunity to re-take the questions you get wrong. You receive credit by completing all components of the module, regardless of your score. This is for your own study benefit, so you can see in which areas you are weaker and which you are stronger.
Can I stop working mid-module? Or do I have to complete one once I’ve started?
- You can stop during each module and return to it later. However, the three CMP practice tests at the end of the course are timed, and once you begin you cannot restart.
How do the full length practice tests work? How much time should I allow?
- Each test will be different. The 150 test items are randomly drawn from a bank of more than 1,500 test items. In some instances, the same item may appear on the exams since they are randomly selected. You are strongly encouraged to take the practice tests at different times. At the completion of each test, you will be provided a summary of your performance. Each test can be taken only one time and you are unable to print the tests. This will be your opportunity to review your test performance on the material prior to sitting for the CMP examination. Block out a 3 ½ -hour period of time to take the tests. You will not be able to stop and start. Once you start, you must complete the test in order to obtain a profile summary. Compare with your profiles from your self-assessment inventory results, Pre-Test and Post-Test. If there are still areas that suggest further study, return to those modules and reference materials for further study. Once you are to this point, you can return to any of the 23 modules for further study and retake the Pre-Test and Post-Test.
Continuing Education Units
How many CEUs will I earn through the CMP Online Prep Course?
- The CMP Online Prep Course was created to provide 70 clock hours of education, or 7.0 CEUs.
How many modules do I need to complete in order to apply for the CMP exam?
- Completing 11 of the 23 modules will provide you with 36 educational clock hours, more than enough to meet the 25 hour minimum requirement from the CIC.
- Within the course platform you are able to access a document showing you have completed the first 11 modules of the CMP Online Prep Course that you can use to apply for the CMP exam.
How do I get my transcript?
- Your transcript can be found within the My Account section of the PCMA website.
Does the CMP Online Prep Course registration fee include the 4 texts which are recommended by the CIC to prepare for the exam? Or do I need to purchase the books separately for the course?
- No – you need to also purchase the CIC recommended texts. They are not included as part of the study course registration fee. The texts are used extensively throughout the course as reading assignments.
What are the recommended texts which are required reading to prepare for the exam?
- The recommended references to help you prepare for the CMP Exam are:
- Professional Meeting Management, 5th Edition,
- Convention Industry Council Manual, 8th Edition,
- Convention Industry Convention International Manual
- APEX Glossary
- IAEE (formerly IAEM): Guidelines for Display Rules & Regulations (Supplement to CIC 8th Edition)
- PCMA offers an “Ultimate Study Package” which provides all books for $221.72. This package saves you $40 over purchasing each book separately. You can order this online at PCMA's education store.
Taking the CMP Exam
Does PCMA administer the CMP exam?
- No – the CMP exam is administered by the Convention Industry Council (CIC). PCMA offers the only prep course endorsed by the CIC, but the CIC actually manages the CMP application, examination and certification process. Find more information at: http://www.conventionindustry.org/CMP/CMPProgram.aspx.
Where can I find information and dates for the upcoming CMP exams?
Are there any CMP study groups in my area? Are there discussion boards or any interactive element offered in the course?
Technical Help & More Information
Who can I contact if I have more questions?
- Please contact technical support via our platform host, Peach New Media, at email@example.com or via phone at 866-702-3278.